Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I just talked about how we need a musical rebirth, especially in the rock n roll world..

"All of this might be complete nonsense.  Rebirth might never see the light of day (actually, given Wayne's track record with release dates, this seems very possible). But "Prom Queen" exists.  This cannot be denied.  And that existence is meaningful.  Take a look at this week's BillBoard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.  The top five features songs by Shinedown, Disturbed, Nickelback, Mudvayne, and Seether.  It is probably the most depressing list in history.  None of these songs make you feel anything ... they reveal no truths (except Nickelback's "Something In Your Mouth," which affirms that, yes, you would look better with something in your mouth).  And that's why Wayne's song is better than each of them.  Not, you know, musically; universal truth-ily.  And that's important.  Axl would be proud.  Or jealous."

I came across this article by James Montgomery from his Bigger Than the Sound weekly column he writes over at MTV.com.  Montgomery is talking about the new forthcoming album, Rebirth, from Lil Wayne.. which is apparently an all rock album.  He compares Wayne to Rose because no one ever told Rose no, and Chinese Democracy is basically a vanity project.. much like the upcoming Rebirth.  I am in no way saying that Lil Wayne's upcoming indulgence is going to be the rock rebirth I've been waiting for.  Not at all.  I just wanted to highlight the extreme pain everyone (or anyone who cares) is feeling over our current "rock stars".  I feel you James Montgomery, I feel you.


No comments: