Saturday, January 3, 2009

Vh1's 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs Hour 3

Hour 3 to me was the part of the countdown in which you start to think to yourself, "there are better songs than this?" and "What could possibly be better than some of these songs?" and also, "Why isn't this higher?"  You begin to realize that it is hard to pick only 100 songs.  Hour 3 is where I can't believe some bands sit either.  Bands such as the Kinks.  Who, I mean let's be honest, inspired probably a lot of bands on this countdown that will place closer to 1 than themselves.  Things like that bother me, but when you grow up with a "respect your elders," mentality, you forget to realize that while your elders deserve respect, there will always be greater bands coming after.  That said, I also think hour 3 was very editorialized.  What I mean is that it's the hour where those putting together the series thought songs should belong, but maybe weren't getting voted on there by the fans. So notes on Hour 3:

-Warrant, sorry but your career is defined by "Cherry Pie" so look at it this way- at least everyone LIKED "Cherry Pie."  You could be remembered for writing a terrible, un-catchy, non sexual innuendo filled songs that everyone hated.

-I do not like Megadeth.  I do like the opening riff of "Peace Sells".

-I used to confuse Iggy Pop and Anthony Keidis when I was younger.  I've since stopped.  What I am confused about is how Iggy and the Stooges can be sandwiched between "Give it Away" and "Freak on a Leash", and how Korn has the highest showing between the three at 48.

-"Sunshine of Your Love" at 44?  Really? Hm.

-Though Kid Rock had a lot of catchy songs, and it was pretty hard rocking, I never thought he had any credibility?  Is it just me?  I look at Kid Rock as completely manufactured by whatever record label he's signed to.

-Dee Snider said it perfect when talking about "Slow Ride" by Foghat.. "It captures that heavy metal party vibe."  

-The Clash should have been way higher.

No comments: