Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Why is my life always stalked by bad music?

I shouldn't say bad music.  That is unfair.  What I should say is music that I don't like.  For some reason completely unknown to me, I am always stalked in my daily life by music and/or musicians that I don't really like.  I also seem to have the uncanny ability to transmit telepathic messages to bands booking tours saying, "Stay far, far, away from my current location."

Examples include:

I do not like Phil Collins.  If someone could just tell me what impact he had on music, then maybe I'd respect him.  But as of right now, no one has posed a valid argument proving that Phil Collins is integral to music besides "Seven Ages of Rock" on VH1 Classic.  And that wasn't even about Phil Collins, it was about Peter Gabriel, bear head, red dress wearing, psychedelic era, Genesis.  (Which only made me respect that era Genesis for about .5 seconds before I realized they were just harping on the fact that Peter Gabriel capitalized on that era of gender bending androgynous rock.)

That being said Exhibit #1:
Exhibit 1a: Date & Time: Thursday, January 22- 7:00pm / Location: My dad's car.
Got picked up in NY to go back to DE to visit with my broken leg stricken mom, and get fitted for a bridesmaid dress, among other things.  Have nice discussion 4/5 of the way home (with no radio on) with my Dad about my hatred for the music industry, and how music is not a product that can be judged based on it success (post about this later).  Turn the radio on with about 30 minutes to spare before the driveway and hear Phil Collins.
Exhibit 1b: Date:  Friday, January 23- 12:15am / Location: Parent's living room
After watching various television shows decide to put on VH1 Classic because I see that LiveAid is on.  Immediately see Phil Collins' mullet gracing the screen.  He is sharing the stage (undeservingly) with Led Zeppeling (he filled in for John Bonham). 
Exhibit 1c: Date: Friday, January 23- 6pm / Still in parents living room
Tell gimpy mother that I watched Live Aid last night.  She replies with, "oh how cool!" so we decided to see if it is on.  Indeed it is.  Put on channel to see, once again, Collins' mullet on stage with Sting. I wasn't impressed the first time and I'm definitely not impressed now.
Exhibit 1d: Date: Sunday, January 25 11:30pm / Back in NYC apt
After finishing Perfert From Now On by John Sellers, I decide to start reading Rock On by Dan Kennedy.  His second chapter is about how he has to come up with an advertising concept to celebrate Collins' 25 years in the business.  I stop reading.. only to find out..
Exhibit 1e: Date: Monday, January 26 12:00am / NYC apartment
Kennedy then goes on to talk about one of his new colleagues in particular- a woman who has a pretty decent wardrobe save for the ratty, old, bleached denim jacket she wears with EVERYTHING. She also pops her collar.  Said jacket has World Tour printed over one side of the front of the jacket, and Staff printed over the other side.  That back has the name of Genesis' 1981 World Tour.

Exhibit 2:
I've expressed my feelings on Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun".  Needless to say, everyday since I've started working, my boss has played that song.  Every.single.day. 


Why are you stalking my life Phil Collins and Chris Cornell? And why can't I swap you for say, I don't know Slash? Or Axl? Hell I'd even take Paul McCartney at this rate.

Exhibit 3:
Regarding my telepathic messages to those who book tours I say this:
I lived in Delaware for 21 years and 9 months of my life.  For those 21 years and 9 months I saw, maybe, 4 bands IN Delaware.  The rest of my time was spent traveling to either Philadelphia, Baltimore, or touring's guaranteed hit: New York City.  For the three months of my 22 years of existence that I did not reside in Delaware, I lived in said tour booking's mecca.  I saw one show in the city limits of New York.  The only other shows I saw that summer were in JERSEY.  I have since moved back to New York and have seen ONE show in Manhattan.  I traveled to Philadelphia to see Bob Dylan, and while I know this one is a no brainer, I took a look at Springsteen's just released World Tour dates and sure enough, no Madison Square Garden dates.  Where in the greater NY area will he be playing? Hempstead. Albany. AND TWO DATES IN EAST RUTHERFORD,NJ.  At this rate, I'm shocked he's not making a pit stop at the University of Delaware.

No comments: