Friday, December 12, 2008

be still my heart.

Ben Gibbard squashed all hopes today of ever putting out another Postal Service record.  While that news makes me terribly sad- I adore everything (yes, even the Phil Collins cover) that they've done- I applaud Ben Gibbard and Jimmy Tamborello for not putting out another record just to capitalize on the moderate success of the first.  Gibbard noted that a second Postal Service record was not a top priority for either involved, which would clearly translate into a sub-par follow-up.
What I loved about the original album was that it was completely inspired.  No one told Gibbard or Tamborello they had to release an electro-pop record.  It was born out of a pure sense to create.  Adhering to that and putting out the record they want to create, when they want to, will only lead to to the second album all the fans are waiting for.. even if that means its the electro-pop Chinese Democracy.

No comments: