Tuesday, December 30, 2008

VH1's 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs Hour 1

I am a sucker for these shows.  When I was perusing vh1 classic's website a couple of weeks ago I came across an advertisement for this series.  I was devastated, thinking I had missed it and therefore would be destined to walk the earth without knowing what Hal Sparks had to say about GNR or Metallica.  Little did I know the series hadn't even debuted yet.  I've been in Delaware for the past 2 weeks for Christmas (unemployed represent!), and therefore not as heavily acquainted with tv as I am in NY.  When I finally gained control of the remote tonight, my last night in DE, I checked VH1 classic first before switching to VH1 and gleefully stumbled upon hour 1.  So ready was I for some Sabbath, Metallica, Led Zep, and GNR, I had forgotten that it was the first hour, and thus 20 seminal great songs had to be critiqued.  Bullshit filler is expected, as is with any countdowns but I was unprepared for what was about to be burned into my brain..

Creed.   Really?  When was it OK to like this band, let alone put them on a greatest of anything list?  Besides, of course, a greatest toolbags list.  Seriously? CREED? 

That's not all.  Evanesence (I don't even care enough to see if I'm spelling their name correctly).  Just because you dress goth does not make you hard rock.  You wear black, and dark purple, congratulations.  No, not hard rock, sorry. There are harder rocking songs than that damn crossover hit.

One song in the first hour that really made me happy was the inclusion of The Darkness' "I Believe in a Thing Called Love".  What a great song.  Hard rocking, talented vocals, ridiculous but lovable lyrics, a possible parody but that's OK it just makes it easier to like.  I am legally downloading that song right now. 

No comments: