Saturday, December 6, 2008

God damn I love VH1 Classic.

There were about 850 layoffs at Viacom this week (no I do not work there- or anywhere for that matter), and rumor is that the layoffs at MTV were concentrated in the music department.  Which makes me wonder why that channel is even still consider MTV.  It should just drop the M now because there is about 7% of music programming still alive on that channel.

Which brings me to the subject of this post: I fucking love VH1 classic.  The programming for this channel is beyond entertaining and everything that a network that calls itself "music television" should be made of.  "Seven Ages of Rock" is ridiculously addicting and extremely informative and entertaining.  For anyone who considers themselves to be overly obsessed with ANYTHING in the realm of music- which I do- this miniseries (?) / documentary is fascinating.  Being the ripe young age of 22 I've not been around for about 75% of the bands featured, yet find Dennis Hopper's narration and direct interviews with members makes you feel as if you're experiencing the bands for the first time along with everyone else in the world.  

I am constantly living in a state where I believe I was born 15 years too late.  I am extremely jealous of my parents musical genre spanning lives.  Up until now I've lived bitterly, constantly complaining to them of how lucky they should feel to be able to say they have lived knowing what its like to NOT have a Led Zeppelin, or a Pink Floyd, or even a Prince or Michael Jackson, in the world.  Their generation knows exactly what its like to discover something all at once, and be a part of a larger "thing."  Up until this exact point, as I sit here watching the last installment of the "Seven Ages of Rock" do I realize how fucking lucky I am to be able to experience that exact sentiment with..

Oasis.

I can vividly remember being in my Dad's 1993 champagne Honda Accord with its battered (much in part to my constant rewinding and fast-forwarding) tape deck and putting in "What's the Story, Morning Glory?" and skipping the first two tracks and diving headfirst into "Wonderwall".  Even my father, who in all honesty does not really pay much attention at all to music, though he tries very hard to keep up with me..thanks dad, was going, "Wow, that is a great song."  That it is.  That song is monumental, and catapulted Oasis to legendary status.  I, at the age of 9, cared nothing for the rest of the tape and treated it with as great care as many other tapes in my collection (Queen's Red Greatest Hits tape, Dookie, Jagged Little Pill) by paying no attention to any song that wasn't catchy as fucking hell, which meant of course played on mainstream radio.  (I'm thinking my musical tastes could have been much worse back then.)

Would I have realized that I am just as lucky as my parents to have experienced a Wonderwall-less world had I not been watching this great channel?  Maybe.  But it finally got me inspired to start writing in this thing about 18 years after I made it (greatly exaggerated.)



"There's great bands, and then there's fucking great bands.  Like ya know that change the way people wear clothes and talk and speak and they affect things ya know?" - Noel Gallagher

No comments: