Monday, December 22, 2008

"Roy Orbison singin' for the lonely, hey that's me and I want you only.."

Somewhere in the past month I've realized that I cannot live without Bruce Springsteen.  Well, just, "Thunder Road" and "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" and "Born to Run".  I confidently proclaimed to an old friend of mine, "I could listen to Rosalita over and over everyday for the rest of my life."  To which he replied. "no, you couldn't."  (I haven't.)  But I'm currently believing that I could not survive a day without listening to "Thunder Road".  That song has been in my head for two straight weeks.  Bad songs just don't stay in your head for that long! (You don't let them.)  TWO WEEKS.  Who has a song stuck in your head for two weeks?  If you have please tell me what I would love to know.  The oddest part about the whole thing is that I used to hate on the Boss because I thought every single one of his songs sounded the same.  Which, they kind of do.  I also used to proclaim that he does not in fact sing, but rather, talks over the music.  My father instilled that last bit in me, he wasn't a big music guy and recently told me how much he regrets not paying attention to music when he was my age.  While my stance on Bruce has changed substantially, I do believe he is worth all the praise and accolades and adoration he receives.  I also believe he's a good lyricist.  He writes with such honesty that you sometimes hate him for it (for example in "Jersey Girl" where he sings, "we're gonna take that little brat of yours and drop him off at your mom's").  Disclaimer: I despise that song.  I think it is the main reason for my initial hatred of Springsteen and I didn't even know those lyrics were in there. But come on, he's talking about a Jersey girl here... she probably does have a brat for a kid. (Sarcasm.. or is it?)  Bruce would know he's a quintessential Jersey-ite (-ian?).  Every one of his early songs had themes of getting out of there, leaving a town full of "losers", and Jersey swamps.  Sounds like Jersey to me.  Anyway, I think he's one of better ones who can evoke pure honesty when he sings.  You know he's downtrodden, and hating his small town, and just can't wait to throw his fame back in the faces of everyone who didn't think he could do it.  It shows through his voice that he means every word that he says.  That or he's a great faker, either one.

No comments: