Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Frustration.

It has recently come to my attention that Pitchfork (the overly elitist music website) has rated some of my non-traditional favorite albums a 3 or less.  Examples include: Stay What You Are by Saves the Day (2.9), Something to Write Home About by The Get Up Kids (2.0).  Exceptions include: Deja Entendu by Brand New (6.9) and Transatlanticism by Death Cab for Cutie (6.4).  I have never been one to rate anything related to music.  I do not understand or condone the rating process, as music is completely subjective. I firmly believe that no two people hear an album in the same way.  While many people will come to the same conclusion regarding an album, "I like it," or "I don't like it," no two people will illicit the same response from an album.  While a number of my friends share my musical tastes (though not my borderline obsession), favorite bands, and greatest songs, I firmly believe the song that I am hearing is a completely different song from what my friend is hearing.  I understand this may be a confusing idea to wrap your head around- but that is just how I believe musical judgement operates.  Yes, there have been times where I've called people crazy, or any of its synonyms, for not appreciating what I appreciate (and yes a number of times people have ended up agreeing with me- though much later and after much refusal to), but I later convince myself that this is a personal experience with a piece of music, one that I can not control.  

Which is why I don't believe in music reviews.  I don't believe you can put a number, a star, or any other crazy form of rating, on something that is meant to be taken in on a personal level.  

The only people I feel that are qualified to rate other people are those that do it, and I doubt the reviewers on Pitchfork have ever put out an album.  If they had, I'd love to see what Pitchfork rated it.

No comments: